Thursday, January 17, 2013

Kaymer: I'm ready for PGA Tour

Martin Kaymer has announced he will play on the PGA Tour along with several of his victorious European Ryder Cup teammates.

(CNN) -- Martin Kaymer, the man who holed the famous putt to cap off the "Miracle at Medinah", is set to leave Europe to compete on the USPGA Tour this year.

The 27-year-old, who briefly reached No.1 in the world in early 2011, finished last year strongly with victory at the Nedbank Challenge in South Africa following a difficult 12 months.

But his five-yard putt to win the Ryder Cup for Europe kick-started his run back into form towards the end of the year.

Nike unveils Rory McIlroy: Tiger's heir apparent

Kaymer joins fellow Europeans Rory McIlroy, Lee Westwood, Nicolas Colsaerts, Luke Donald, Justin Rose, Graeme McDowell and Peter Hanson in making the switch to the U.S.

"It was the right time now," he told reporters ahead of the $2.7 million Abu Dhabi Championship.

"When I was 23, 24 it was maybe a little bit too early. Now I feel like I would try it out how it feels, knowing now what is going to happen in America.

"I've played there many times, majors, World Golf Championships

"I've got to know the culture more, me living in Arizona, so I feel comfortable."

McGinley beats Monty to Ryder Cup captaincy

Kaymer endured a frustrating 2012 after to make changes to his swing, an alteration which left his struggling for most of the year.

"For me it was the right time," he said. "I didn't feel like the No.1 in the world. I was, but I didn't feel like it," he added.

"I knew I couldn't play all the shots I wanted. And for me, if you are the best player in the world, you should be able to hit many, many different golf shots and I just couldn't.

"Just knowing that didn't make me feel like the No.1. If you don't feel like it, you will never stay No.1. So that's why I needed to change."


Via: Kaymer: I'm ready for PGA Tour

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...