Friday, February 15, 2013

Uribe overtakes teenager Ko in Australia

Colombian Mariajo Uribe snatched the lead from Kiwi Lydia Ko at the Women's Australian Open

(CNN) -- Teenage sensation Lydia Ko followed up her record-breaking round of 10-under-par on day one of the Women's Australian Open with a score of 69, but it wasn't enough to retain the overall lead.

Colombian Mariajo Uribe, whose round of nine-under on Thursday was overshadowed by her 15-year-old rival, again kept a bogey off her card as a 67 took her one shot clear on 15-under.

Korean World No. 7 Jiyai Shin is hot on the heels of Uribe, her round of six-under drawing her level with Ko on 14-under as the trio gear up for a battle in Canberra over the weekend.

"I went out just wanting to get in the competition more, after two months without playing, so it was a fun round," Uribe told the tournament's official website.

"I made good putts, took advantage of the opportunities and the same thing I did today. So I feel pretty good.

"It's funny because the tournaments I play better are the ones that I'm rusty or that I'm not hitting the ball that well. I think I come in with low expectations and things kind of happen.

"I believe in things that are meant to be and I feel it's meant to be for me to play good this week. Hopefully it stays like that for the weekend.''

It is the first time Uribe has led a tournament at the half way stage but she said she was comfortable with the expectation that brings: "I'm not the type of player who gets nervous. I love pressure. That's when I play better, usually.''

It was perhaps inevitable Ko wouldn't be able to repeat her heroics from day one but a steady round of four-under means she is well placed to launch an attack to claim the fourth tournament victory of her fledgling career.

"I think four-under is a pretty good score out there. I mean, it's not an easy golf course. I'm pretty sure it is a pretty good score for me," she said.

"I mean at some points, because my putting was so good yesterday when it didn't go in I was a little disappointed but I think I putted well out there and played well."


Via: Uribe overtakes teenager Ko in Australia

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...