Thursday, June 20, 2013

Tiger Woods pulls out of AT&T National

World No. 1 Tiger Woods first picked up a left elbow injury at the Players Championship last month.

(CNN) -- World No. 1 Tiger Woods has pulled out of this weekend's AT&T National to ensure he is ready for next month's British Open.

The 14-time major winner has an ongoing left elbow injury which he first picked up on his way to winning last month's Players Championship.

Woods' decision means he will not defend the title he won in 2012.

Read: Rose shares boyhood dream with late father

"I was examined after I returned home from the U.S. Open, and the doctors determined I have a left elbow strain," the 37-year-old told the PGA Tour's official website.

The British Open, which will be held at Muirfield, begins on July 18. The American will be looking to win a first major title since the 2008 U.S. Open.

Woods aggravated his injury at last week's U.S. Open at Merion, which saw him finish 13-over par in a tie for 32nd position.

It was his worst performance in 16 appearances at the tournament.

"I have been advised to take a few weeks off, rest and undergo treatment," he added. "I'll be ready to go for the British Open, and I'm looking forward to playing at Muirfield.

"I would like to extend my regrets to AT&T, our sponsors and the fans in the Washington, D.C., area.

"The AT&T National means a lot to me and my foundation. It's especially difficult not defending at my own tournament. It's going to be a great event, and I look forward to being there to provide my support."

Woods has enjoyed a stellar 2013 so far, regaining his position at the top of the world rankings and winning four PGA Tour titles.


Via: Tiger Woods pulls out of AT&T National

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...